On a jailbroken device
- Download a .deb from download.navit-project.org/navit/iphone/svn/
- copy the .deb via sftp to /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall/
- reboot to install the .deb
- copy a map to /var/mobile/Media/Maps
- find your navit.xml file. Mine was in /private/var/stash/_.c3HQr7/Applications/Navit.app/share/navit/navit.xml
- edit this file to fix the map path, which should be <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/var/mobile/Media/Maps/planet.bin"/><map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="../Documents/planet.bin"/>
Results on git revision f1045d4 (Jun 14, 2016) : What works:
- vehicle position
- map loading
- routing works, tested using OSM maps
What does not work:
- entering the search menu makes Navit crash. Probably a locale setting
- entering fullscreen mode makes Navit crash
Home made packages on OSX
Prepare your build environment :
- you will need the xocde command line : xcode-select --install
- brew install cmake
- brew install gettext
- brew link --force gettext
You will also need a converter for the svg's
cmake -G Xcode ../navit-trunk -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=Toolchain/xcode-iphone.cmake -DUSE_PLUGINS=0 -DBUILD_MAPTOOL=0 -DSAMPLE_MAP=0 -DXSLTS=iphone
xcodebuild -configuration RelWithDebInfo (or import it into the xcode gui to proceed and have more configuration options)
Use the path to your sources for ../navit-trunk in the cmake command
revealing the following problems :
- https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.1/policy/CMP0008.html (concerns libz.tbd)
- on recent sdk's wordexp.h is found but unusable, make it use the version from support
building and running it on sdk>=8 leads to ERROR: org.navitproject.navit is depending on legacy on-demand authorization, which is not supported for new apps
some workarounds were inserted in https://github.com/navit-gps/navit/tree/iOS_9.3_hacks
Configure with cmake and then import it in the xcode gui. Add -lz to other linker flags for the navit target as a workaround for the *.tbd issue Now you can select the iPhone4s or 5 simulator as target device and build it, you can also sideload it to a 4s or 5 connected physical device and no jailbreaking required. Installing maps is supposed to be possible with iTunes.
If you try to build it for an arm64 device, all the implicit declarations become errors. They are all related to the code in support/glib, but when each of them is fixed the build also works for arm64. Testing on 4s and 5 iPhoneSimulator iOS 9.3 revealed search, routing and navigation to be working. This can probably be built for and used down to iOS 8.0 because no sdk tests were added to the workarounds for lower SDK's. No signing certificate is needed to sideload it onto a physically connected device. Supposedly maps can be installed with iTunes.
Old content kept below for reference until we fix the build
Screenshots and Videos
- GPS updates
- OSM maps
- Track logs
- Landscape/Portrait mode
What does not
- speech (play failure since 3.0)
What was not tested
- Garmin maps (Last binary includes Garmin driver but not tested ...)
- Others maps
Temporarily, Packages are available through this below repository:
main (r2307): http://download.navit-project.org/navit/iphone/cydia/
From Cydia go to Manage > Sources > Edit > Add and add one of the above URL there. Then Search->"navit", install it .
By default, navit is expecting OSM maps:
/var/mobile/Media/Maps/eu.bin or /var/mobile/Media/Maps/planet.bin
For example, you can either use:
- iphone terminal and wget:
iphone$ cd /var/mobile/Media iphone$ mkdir Maps iphone$ cd Maps iphone$ wget http://maps.navit-project.org/planet.bin
PC$ wget http://maps.navit-project.org/planet.bin PC$ scp planet.bin email@example.com:/var/mobile/Media/Maps/planet.bin
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip of your iphone.
enjoy having your free GPS on your iPhone.
Home made packages
I assume that your cross-compiler is ready and that you are able to generate telesphoreo packages.
svn co http://svn.telesphoreo.org/trunk export PATH=$PATH:$WHEREIS_YOUR_TOOLCHAIN/toolchain/pre/bin export PKG_BASE=~/WHEREIS_TELESPHOREO/trunk export PKG_ARCH=iphoneos-arm export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=~/
First you will need to compile below libraries:
- Jpeg6b (optional)
- Tiff (optional)
Png, tiff, Imagemagick are already available on telesphoreo which is the APT-based distribution of Unix software for modern smartphones started by Jay Freeman (saurik). So you can download it from Cydia. For others, you will find all necessary telesphoreo patches on below ticket: 
patch -p0 < sdl_ft_fc_jpg_new_packages_telesphoreo.diff
Then we can deal with Navit code.
Please find below telesphoreo patch for navit:
r2391-2:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/telesphoreo_r2391_2.diff (full patch + deps) r2391+garmin:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/telesphoreo_r2391_garmin.diff (full patch + deps) r2391:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/telesphoreo_r2391.diff (full patch + deps) r2307:http://www.telesphoreo.org/ticket/167
r2391-2:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/navit_r2391_2.diff r2391+garmin:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/navit_r2391_garmin.diff r2391:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/navit_r2391.diff r2307:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/navit_r2307.diff
This is a draft !!
I know, there are some obvious workarounds and hacks! and my OBJC is rusty :)
- [Iphone] New vehicle type: Iphone GPS coordinate reading
- [SDL] options in config file for BPP and NOFRAME (2391)
- [OSM] search in unknown city (without is_in tag)
- [OSD] Announcer toggle fix
- [DBG] Added HAVE_NO_DEBUG (Iphone does not like hash calculation :))
- [NAV] Added tell_street_name in configuration file (2391)
- [CONFIG] Navit XML configuration file for Iphone
- [FILE] !!Dirty!! Hacking file_wordexp_new(). Indeed wordexp seems to not work on my env :(. All "*" for file path are not allowed yet. Direct path only.
- [BUILD] !!Dirty!! with disable-plugins mode, darwin gcc seems to not link plugins from *.la => Force link against .o and add all libs to navit_LDADD
- [EXTRA] Iphone application metadata (icons ...)
Once your telesphoreo source code is patched with additional libs and Navit. Just enter below command
It will build navit and all other dependencies (above libs).
Upload your deb files (scp,ssh,...) to your device and install them thanks to dpkg ...
dpkg -i fontconfig_2.6.0-1_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i freetype_2.3.9-5_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i sdl-image_1.2.0-r4521-4_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i sdl_1.3.0-r4521-1_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i jpeg_6b-14-x_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i navit_0.1.0-r2307-x_iphoneos-arm.deb
Then Have fun :)
OSM map files are expected as below:
A new navit.xml can be copied into /var/mobile/.navit/
<graphics type="sdl" w="340" h="480" bpp="16" frame="0"/>
Frame and bpp options have been added
Get festival library + Erica utilities on Cydia. Then change your speech configuration in "/var/mobile/.navit/navit.xml" to
<speech type="cmdline" data="flite -t '%s' -o /var/mobile/tmp.wav && play /var/mobile/tmp.wav &"/>
- OSM: Routing is very slow (long distance is a nightmare for user :() (Almost fixed with CACHE_SIZE define)