Apple finally allows turn-by-turn directions on their Iphone 3G Device.
Navit can now be ported to Iphone 3.0 firmware.
You can now have a free GPS car navigation system for Iphone.
- 1 Screenshots and Videos
- 2 Status
- 3 Concerning Opentoolchain
- 4 Concerning App Store
- 5 Config
- 6 Test feedback
- 7 How to get the UDID of your device
Screenshots and Videos
Version: Beta 0.1
- 0.1-r2391-2 (adding landscape, cursor, navigation status...): 29/07/09
- 0.1-r2391 + (garmin driver): 08/07/09
- 0.1-r2391: 05/07/09
- 0.1-r2307: 27/06/09
- GPS updates
- OSM maps
- Speech (OS<3.0)
- Track logs
- Landscape/Portrait mode (SDL patch)
What does not
- speech (play failure since 3.0)
What was not tested
- Garmin maps (Last binary includes Garmin driver but not tested ...)
- Others maps
What is on development
- Update current tracking algorithm to prevent from road jumping
- Speech for 3.x
Temporarily, Packages are available through this below repository:
main-dev (latest): http://szndvc.dyndns.org/cydia/ main (r2307): http://download.navit-project.org/navit/iphone/cydia/
From Cydia go to Manage > Sources > Edit > Add and add one of the above URL there. Then Search->"navit", install it .
By default, navit is expecting OSM maps:
/var/mobile/Media/Maps/eu.bin or /var/mobile/Media/Maps/planet.bin
For example, you can either use:
- iphone terminal and wget:
iphone$ cd /var/mobile/Media iphone$ mkdir Maps iphone$ cd Maps iphone$ wget http://maps.navit-project.org/planet.bin
PC$ wget http://maps.navit-project.org/planet.bin PC$ scp planet.bin email@example.com:/var/mobile/Media/Maps/planet.bin
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip of your iphone.
enjoy having your free GPS on your iPhone.
PS: Temporarily, because I hope it will accepted on telesphoreo.
Home made packages
I assume that your cross-compiler is ready and that you are able to generate telesphoreo packages.
svn co http://svn.telesphoreo.org/trunk export PATH=$PATH:$WHEREIS_YOUR_TOOLCHAIN/toolchain/pre/bin export PKG_BASE=~/WHEREIS_TELESPHOREO/trunk export PKG_ARCH=iphoneos-arm export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=~/
First you will need to compile below libraries:
- Jpeg6b (optional)
- Tiff (optional)
Png, tiff, Imagemagick are already available on telesphoreo which is the APT-based distribution of Unix software for modern smartphones started by Jay Freeman (saurik). So you can download it from Cydia. For others, you will find all necessary telesphoreo patches on below ticket: 
patch -p0 < sdl_ft_fc_jpg_new_packages_telesphoreo.diff
Currently, I hope that above libs will be accepted on telesphoreo distribution to skip this first step.
Then we can deal with Navit code.
Please find below telesphoreo patch for navit:
r2391-2:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/telesphoreo_r2391_2.diff (full patch + deps) r2391+garmin:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/telesphoreo_r2391_garmin.diff (full patch + deps) r2391:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/telesphoreo_r2391.diff (full patch + deps) r2307:http://www.telesphoreo.org/ticket/167
r2391-2:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/navit_r2391_2.diff r2391+garmin:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/navit_r2391_garmin.diff r2391:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/navit_r2391.diff r2307:http://szndvc.dyndns.org/navit/navit_r2307.diff
This is a draft !!
I know, there are some obvious workarounds and hacks! and my OBJC is rusty :)
- [Iphone] New vehicle type: Iphone GPS coordinate reading
- [SDL] options in config file for BPP and NOFRAME (2391)
- [OSM] search in unknown city (without is_in tag)
- [OSD] Announcer toggle fix
- [DBG] Added HAVE_NO_DEBUG (Iphone does not like hash calculation :))
- [NAV] Added tell_street_name in configuration file (2391)
- [CONFIG] Navit XML configuration file for Iphone
- [FILE] !!Dirty!! Hacking file_wordexp_new(). Indeed wordexp seems to not work on my env :(. All "*" for file path are not allowed yet. Direct path only.
- [BUILD] !!Dirty!! with disable-plugins mode, darwin gcc seems to not link plugins from *.la => Force link against .o and add all libs to navit_LDADD
- [EXTRA] Iphone application metadata (icons ...)
Once your telesphoreo source code is patched with additional libs and Navit. Just enter below command
It will build navit and all other dependencies (above libs).
Upload your deb files (scp,ssh,...) to your device and install them thanks to dpkg ...
dpkg -i fontconfig_2.6.0-1_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i freetype_2.3.9-5_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i sdl-image_1.2.0-r4521-4_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i sdl_1.3.0-r4521-1_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i jpeg_6b-14-x_iphoneos-arm.deb dpkg -i navit_0.1.0-r2307-x_iphoneos-arm.deb
Then Have fun :)
Concerning App Store
Need a volunteer with a mac :)
- SDL is ready for Xcode
OSM map files are expected as below:
A new navit.xml can be copied into /var/mobile/.navit/
<graphics type="sdl" w="340" h="480" bpp="16" frame="0"/>
Frame and bpp options have been added
Get festival library + Erica utilities on Cydia. Then change your speech configuration in "/var/mobile/.navit/navit.xml" to
<speech type="cmdline" data="flite -t '%s' -o /var/mobile/tmp.wav && play /var/mobile/tmp.wav &"/>
- OSM: Routing is very slow (long distance is a nightmare for user :() (Almost fixed with CACHE_SIZE define)
How to get the UDID of your device
The UDID is a 40 digit hex string required to take part in the testing of a new iPhone port. The following possibilities to get it are known:
- UDID Tool http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/udid-tool/id377602501?mt=8
- iTunes http://www.tuaw.com/2008/08/08/iphone-101-find-udid-with-a-single-click/
- USB serial number on Linux: lsusb -v | grep iSerial (must be run as root)
- USB serial number on Windows or OSX http://apfelportal.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=10358