Linux User, sysadmin background. I'd like to use Navit on both my linux boxes and Android ones.
Willing to help as best I can, long time since I called myself a programmer. I have written quite a bit of user docs .....
Things I'd like to move on -
- Bug #1222 - This makes for a failed install, perhaps only when we have a particular combination of other tools installed. I have suggested a very easy fix but no response.
- Several doc things I think need fixing on the wiki -
- Note that there does not seem to be any current prebuilt binaries/packages for linux. Wiki indicates there is.
- Make a bit clearer how to build from source. Grabbing a tar ball does not work as it does not have the Cmake files ?? Need to use SVN
- Need to add gpsd-dev as a (just about) requirement. Not too many people would use Navit without a GPS. Its far too easy to miss the "warning" about gpsd-dev not being found during build process.
- Wiki opening page could do with a link to the Linux build page, much as other OS's have links to how to get going.
- (todo) I find on one of my boxes, gpsd is not started correctly, while I have a tacky workaround, need to get a better fix and doc.
- (Now getting to space I don't understand yet) Love to see maptool documented in some way. Its a black box right now and I hate black boxes. But it does a really cool job ....
- Some instructions on how to use the user contributed layouts would be nice. And some observations about making your own. I am working on a layout more suited to sparely populated areas....
- NavitConfigurer - needs some docs too. Seems you can change an existing tag but not add a new one ?
Anyway, lots of things I'd like to have a play with but I am not willing to make any changes unless I have talked them over with more knowledgeable people. And ring now, my wiki credentials don't work on the Forum ??